I have a serious fucking problem with a current trend relating to acceptance of queer and nonbinary folk.
The fact that there are so many posts where it’s like “Son, you aren’t allowed to have that dress. … It would look hideous on you, this is more your color.” The fucking SCARE factor to emphasize the relief of acceptance is horrible and I loathe it so much. If you’re going to accept someone, ACCEPT THEM, make them feel welcomed, validated, okay, normal. Don’t trick them into believing they’re about to me put down like they always are. It’s manipulation and it’s gross, even if it’s with good intent.
If one of my parents pretended to be upset that I was bisexual and then went “lmao jk we love you” I wouldn’t punch them because I’m a pansy but I would walk out and ignore them for like a week or five and be seriously pissed. I don’t want to be the butt of your joke. I don’t want to be the source of your amusement over your fucking manipulating emotional jumpscare.
It’s not funny.
It’s not sweet or cute or inspiring to trick someone to manipulate them into feeling a certain way, especially not for the satisfaction of them being relieved you were lying.
I hate it.
This is so misleading that it is frankly a lie.
First of all, “Scientists” haven’t solved anything except determined the results of a DNA test—matching a still-living descendent of the sister of a mental patient with a 126-year-old semen stain on the shawl of a single woman thought to be killed by the Ripper.
- The idea that they could have a “100% match” is highly tenuous at best; siblingship is a tricky thing to discover through DNA to begin with, and vastly more so when you take into account that they’re testing the descendent of a sibling. There’s a reason that whenever possible, geneticists prefer to test a parent as well as a sibling, given how many DNA loci are recombined to form a sibling’s DNA. They also “matched” the shawl’s owner’s bloodstain to her “three-times great-granddaughter,” proving again a “100% match.”
- The DNA evidence has not been independently verified by any authorities.
- The shawl itself, the one and only piece of physical evidence, has not been independently verified. It “is thought” to have been part of the case.
- The lead detective on the case is not a detective. He is a self-proclaimed “armchair detective” and history nut.
- He is selling a book about this. It doesn’t take an “armchair detective” to realize that a book about looking for Jack the Ripper’s identity is not going to turn a profit without showing “conclusive proof” that they’ve found the killer.
- His only other proof is the fact that Kosminski was recorded as a suspect in the 1800s by the police, who were notedly anti-Semetic (Kosminski was a Polish Jew).
- This “study,” if it can even be called that when the information was clearly biased, was reported in the Daily Mail and the Mirror, not exactly shining bastions of journalism. Look for it to be discredited very soon. I’m betting Cracked’s “B.S. News Stories that Fooled Your Facebook Friends” gets there within a week.
- The apparently brilliant scientist that has pioneered this new DNA matching technology, Dr. Jari Louhelainen, is hardly a standout in his field. He is not decorated, has received no awards or fellowships that I’ve been able to find, and is a professor at a college that has turned out only one notable alumnus in the scientific field, ever (and she is an astrophysicist).
- Even if the shawl and its two spots of purported DNA were not obviously of over-inflated importance (and if they could be verified), that is far from saying the mystery of Jack the Ripper is solved. All that would be in today’s courtroom is a single piece of circumstantial evidence for ONE of five serial murders.
- The newspaper that reported this is a tabloid.
- The “detective” is an amateur with a book to sell.
- The “scientist” is a lecturer at a new university in England that focuses on sports.
- The “evidence” is over-hyped and far from conclusive.
- The “evidence” only points to Kosminski for ONE murder out of five.
This is not research. This is sensationalism. The mystery of Jack the Ripper is far from solved.
I know its a little early but
Jingle Bell Rock w/ my mom
i hate being that person who comments on posts but i just want u all to know that i watch this video all the fucking time every year once it hits september bc nothing gets me more pumped for christmas than this person rocking out w/ their mom while their mom windexes a countertop
idk if this is a thing for all college towns but the university here is pretty spread out and it’s a pain in the ass to get from one end to the other so people rent mopeds each semester and something that i’ve noticed is that when two girls are on one, the passenger is holding onto the driver like u would expect. but not the dudebros. never the dudebros. so today i watched two frat guys go no homo-ing down the driveway of their frat in their crusty t shirts and backwards baseball caps on their scooter and they went to turn a corner and the guy in the back fuckign fell off and rolled into a bush bc he refused to grab his bro for support. men are weak.
dude these tights would look kick ass over my curvacious thighs. DO WANT
tumblr is so strange. i follow like 50 one direction blogs and i’ve never listened to one direction in my entire life. i’m not sure how it happened but i dont care for some reason?? but also, seeing 30+ oversaturated pictures of harry styles shouldnt be like…a thing that happens to me every day
When you know a character finna to die but dont know when
it’s midnight and my mom still hasn’t gotten home from work btdubs
i have not seen her since she got her drunk ass to bed last night
the end of the financial year is my favorite holiday
you know how when you’re up late working on a bunch of stuff you get to that point where you aren’t tired and then you worry about how you’re going to get a decent amount of sleep the next day because you can’t see yourself going to sleep any time soon
buy then you finish, and you get undressed, and take your contacts out, and take your night dose of meds, turn all the lights in the house off, and you feel Tired because you finally let yourself feel it
idk i like that
my mom has been a self-employed seamstress for the past 20 years or so and is currently in the running for a $150,000 grant from chase to expand her business— her plans in cute mom terms are to, “make apprenticeship trendy again” as well as cultivate a stronger network of other craftspeople and revive notions of skilled work and local industry
in order to make it to the next round, she needs 250 votes through facebook (yikes) and i’d love if you would vote and help make this happen!
we had 2 make a collaged face in photoshop using everyday objects or whatever and i made a self portrait i guess
Glee’s attitude towards bisexuality summed up in 60 seconds
here it is in all its glory
the music tho
seriously, fuck biphobia, and fuck any form of mainstream media that promotes it.